I have all these things that I always mean to blog about, because I just find it strange/interesting/funny. So I will try to compile most of my observations in this post.
- Doha used to be a British protectorate, so the terminology is very British. Shopping carts (or buggies for my Pgh peeps) are called trolleys here in Doha. Also, an elevator is a lift, and everything is take away (not to-go).
- Keeping with the British theme, they sell this stuff called Long-Life (Or Stay Long) Milk. You buy it at room temperature and it can be stored in your pantry until you open it. Then you refrigerate after opening, and you have to use it within 3 days of opening. For some reason, I don’t know why – it just creeps me out!
- In our apartment, we have an all in one washer/dryer (another British thing I think). It is pretty worthless at drying clothes, so we had to also buy a drying rack. Additionally, when the clothes do dry (especially jeans), they are crunchy and not so comfortable. On the upside, we do have a dry cleaner in our building, so that helps with some things!
- As I mentioned previously, gas is full serve – everywhere. It is actually really nice, and it will be hard to re-adjust when we are home visiting! Also, an average fill up for us is about 30-40 riyals, which is about 8-11 bucks. (This is partially the reason there are Land Cruisers/SUVs everywhere).
- Another interesting thing – when you go to some of the restaurants here, do not be surprised to find a box of facial tissue on your table. These are their versions of napkins! In the store, they only sell paper towels and tissues, no napkins. It is different 🙂
- One thing I do love is that electric water kettles are very popular here. We had one in Pgh, and I loved it. If you don’t own one of these, you should buy one now! They heat up water really quickly, and are just great to have around the kitchen!
- The drivers here are just insane. I am not even sure there are words to describe it, you just have to experience it! They love to speed, flash their lights at you if you are not driving fast enough, enter a roundabout from the middle lane and cut you off in the far left lane, etc. It is a challenge and it always keeps you alert!
- There are many stray kitties around the city. There are some that even live in our basement. We have heard there used to be a rat problem, and so they released some kitties, but no clue if that is true. Most of the kitties are scared of people, so they stay away from us.
- We get some really interesting TV channels. We get CNN, BBC World News and Al Jazeera English, which is so far my new favorite news channel. Al Jazeera English is actually located in Doha, and they often have professors from Education City on as guest interviewees. Aside from that , we also get a Polish channel that plays music videos all day – and a lot of Michael Jackson! We see Smooth Criminal at least twice a day. Then we have a Fox Movies channel that plays mostly bad movies 24/7, and some Indian channels with Bollywood style tv shows. It certainly makes tv watching interesting!
That is all I can think of for now! I will be sure to update as I think of more things. Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone! Hope you had a wonderful holiday! 🙂 I will be posting about our Turkey Day soon! 🙂